The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in the United States passed 1 million on Tuesday as the death toll climbed to more than 58,000, according to a tally from Johns Hopkins University. There have been over 3 million cases worldwide and more than 217,000 confirmed deaths globally.
Latest major developments:
- Trump invokes Defense Production Act to keep meat processing plants open.
- Oxford scientists hopeful vaccine could be widely available by September.
- Japanese officials warn 2021 Olympics might have to be canceled.
- Veterans facility hit hard by coronavirus crisis.
- UN warns lockdowns could cause surge in domestic violence.
- California considers reopening public schools as early as July.
Detailed information from the CDC on coronavirus treatment and prevention.